Sunday, January 26, 2014

Repent does not mean... well, repent.

Today's sermon talked about the importance of the metaphor of "fishers of men people," and then I learned a thing that has changed my understanding of the Gospel and the New Testament as a whole completely.

Metanoia does not mean "repent." It doesn't mean to be sorry for sins you have committed; the meanings aren't even in the same area code. This isn't even one of those debatable, "maybe it does, maybe it doesn't," things, it's a deliberate continuing error that the Church picked up on around 1000CE and just kept up because it fit in nicely with their Shame And Guilt drumbeat, and I can't even be that angry (yet) because I'm too busy being amazed.

It means something like a metamorphosis - a change in heart, a new direction, a new way of seeing. This makes so much more sense.

So, our rector told us, when you read the word "repent" in the Bible, don't say repent - don't think of sorrow, shame, guilt. Say, instead, to change your heart and mind from the inside. We should not be trying to be Christians out of shame and guilt, but out of love for God and each other. ...and, well, that's the point, isn't it?

To follow Christ - to find the Way. To change, from and into love.

I'd say more, but I think I have to go reread the entirety of the New Testament now.

(though let me just say that I am so immensely gladdened to continually be unburdened of the "KJV is Only True Word" mess. the world and the Word are so much bigger when you can actually see them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment